Here is where I share my true feelings on many, many things....
Aren't you the lucky readers?
My first topic - Sam's Club (could be any warehouse club though)...
I went to Sam's Club today....picked up 7 items including organic juice, half & half, TLC crackers, apples, bananas, trail mix, and vitamins for the kiddos. My kiddos tasted a few things along the way - usually using their manners without being prompted.
While standing in line to pay (it was a long one by the way - big surprise on a Friday afternoon), I was struck with how many people were wandering around aimlessly sticking stuff in their carts with an empty expression on their face. They looked tired, irritated, and most of all - EMPTY. I was struck by how we were standing in a warehouse full of STUFF, and everyone looks EMPTY! How ironic is that? The kids and I were carrying on little conversations here and there, but all I could notice is that people all around me looked SO unhappy. Not one person around us was laughing or carrying on a fun conversation. Come on now, we are in the place that has everything you could ever need to survive almost any day, and no one is happy.
HMMMM....could it be that all kinds of stuff will never make us happy? I am really thinking about contentment right now and reading an excellent book about it. I truly think that it is a LEARNED attitude.
Reminds me of a favorite quote (that I wrote in my bible at the end of the book of Philippians).
"To Americans, tragedy is wanting something very badly and not getting it. But many people have had to learn...that perhaps, the worst form of tragedy is wanting something badly, getting it, and finding it empty."
I have Philippians 4:11 written next to this quote, and in it, the apostle Paul says, "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have LEARNED in whatever state I am, to be content:".
"The contented person is never poor...the discontented, never rich."
I can only speak for myself when I say that, I want to be content here in this life, but never too comfortable - so that I forget all of those people around me who are EMPTY.
Mainly writing to myself here, but I am interested in what you think about contentment....

1 Comments:
Very deep, Becky. I agree with you. We have to learn to be content in where we are and with what we have or don't have. I find myself greatly struggling with this right now. We are way behind on bills since I am just now back to work after having Drew. So I am constantly thinking about what we need and when we get paid next, this is what I will buy. Then when we get paid and there is no money left, I am angry! Am I content? Not really, because I always think about things, stuff. So thank you for reminding me to forget all the STUFF and focus on what really matters - God, my family, and the others whose lives intersect with mine. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home